Saturday, February 9, 2008

In this we trust or Chizzelwick Economics



As I lie awake in bed the other night I got to thinking about money. (you may notice the theme of my blog shifting from every single Drew poo to random thoughts and meanderings...hope you dont mind)

So anyway I was thinking about how much faith (trust) I have in the little green piece of paper pictured above. Truth be told, I rarely carry cash. These days all of my money is accounted for and all of my finances are done online.

Then I had a scary thought. Is my money even real?? I mean I never hold it, I never actually see it...its really just a bunch of numbers that zap back and forth through cyberspace. Direct deposit goes in..zap! Electric Bill, Water Bill, Mortgage go out...Zapp, Zapp, Zapp! Back and forth it goes on and on.

Then I thought, one of these days I am going to walk into the bank and ask for all my money in 1's. This way I can actually see it, smell it, and hold it. Reality struck as it occurred to me that I probably only have enough to fill a pickle jar (small one at that). But thats not the point. Its only numbers on a screen or small pieces of smelly green paper. By now you must be thinking "yur such and idiot Curt..money is all about what it can do for you." Sure, money can do lots of things for us no doubt...so long as there is something behind it. So what is behind our money? I suppose its the grace of the US government. Who trusts that?

Then I remembered hearing about that dude somewhere that is all wound up about taking the slogan "In God we trust" off our greenbacks. We probably have different motives but I agree, lets get it the heck off of there! Its a big lie. Instead I say we replace it with "In this we trust."

My prayer that night: "Lord, help me to trust you the way I trust my money"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you CAC for sharing your heart's prayer - "Lord, help me to trust You the way that I trust my money."

Please pray the same for me, Brother and hold me accountable to God's truths, like what is said below.

For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
-1 Timothy 6: 6-10